Saturday, April 3, 2010

The last salmon run

With the ski season winding down i'm finding more time to get back to art. Today I was inspired by some of my local nature images I had taken earlier in the year. I spent the afternoon working on this conceptual piece called "the last salmon run".

The Squamish river every fall attracts many eagles to feed on the salmon returning to the ocean. In recent years the eagle count has been decreasing due to poor salmon farming and river management. Improper salmon farming has caused lice which are reducing the number of fish in our rivers. Salmon is the major food source for eagles as they hunt them down the river. The trending decrease in the number of eagles in recent years is in direct correlation with the increasing salmon farming industry.

I hope you enjoy this little thought and let me know what you think of the piece.

for larger image click here


No comments:

Post a Comment